Ratan Naval Tata, famously known as Ratan Tata, needs no introduction. He is one of the world’s most renowned Indian industrialists, philanthropists, and a former chairman of Tata Sons. He has also received two of the highest civilian awards of India, Padma Bhushan (2000) and Padma Vibhushan (2008).
Ratan Tata remained as the chairman of the Tata Group, from 1990 to 2012. He was the apparent successor to J. R. D. Tata, who retired in 1991. Under Ratan Tata’s 21-year leadership, the group grew its revenues by over 40 times, and the profits grew over 50 times. He boldly got Tata Motors to take over Jaguar Land Rover in 2008. It was him who turned the India-centered Tata group to grow multi-folds into a truly global brand.
These are the top 7 interesting facts about him.
1 Degree in Architecture
He studied at the Campion School, Mumbai till the 8th class, followed by Cathedral and John Connon School, Mumbai and at Bishop Cotton School in Shimla, and, in 1955, graduated from Riverdale Country School in New York City. In 1959, he then received a degree in Architecture from Cornell University, and in 1975, attended the seven-week Advanced Management Program of Harvard Business School — an institution which he has since endowed.
2 Padma Vibhushan & Padma Bhushan
Ratan Tata is the recipient of two of the highest civilian awards of India, the Padma Vibhushan (2008) and Padma Bhushan (2000).
3 Love towards animals
It is said that Bombay House has a tradition of letting stray dogs in to take shelter from the rain and sun since the days of JRD Tata. Former Tata Sons chairman Ratan Tata is also known to be ardent dog lover who has two dogs of his own. It is said the dogs who take shelter at Bombay House recognize him and wake up to greet him when he enters the building.
4 Jaguar and Land Rover Deal
In 1999, when Tata and Ford were having a deal. Ford insulted them. They told us 'you do not know anything, why did you start the passenger car division at all'. They said they will do us a favor by buying our car division," a Tata Group veteran said while recalling a meeting of Ratan Tata and other top executives with Ford officials in Detroit in 1999. But came back to "do a big favor" just nine years later by taking over the American giant's marquee brands Jaguar and Land Rover.
5 Ratan Tata is a skilled Pilot
Ratan Tata loves flights and flying. He is a skilled pilot. He is the first Indian to fly an F-16 falcon in 2007.
6 His Car collection
- The Ferrari California (Rosso Red paint scheme) is one of the most loved models by Ratan Tata. He has also been spotted driving it several times out on the public roads.
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class Who doesn't love the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and even Ratan Tata isn't an exception. The S-Class has a cult following especially among the elite-class businessmen and leaders who love to roll in style and enjoy 'simply the best comfort' four-wheels can provide
- Land Rover Freelander Though Tata owns the Jaguar Land Rover, but Ratan Tata has had a Freelander (Black) with him even before the acquisition. He has also been spotted being driven in it on several occasions.
- Nexon is one of the new-gen products launched by Tata Motors in the last few years. It is among one of the most-selling SUVs under the sub-4 meter segment and Mr. Tata has been spotted taking a tour of his blue-colored diesel-powered Nexon a few times in the past. It comes with two engine options – 1.2 L Turbocharged Revotron Petrol and 1.5 L Revotorq Diesel.
- Tata Indigo Marina The Indigo Marina has stayed in the Ratan Tata's garage for a very long time now.
7 Few of the Startups Funded by Ratan Tata
Ratan Tata has always been encouraging young entrepreneurs to launch their idea, here are the startup funded by Ratan Tata.
- Tork Motors
- Repos Energy
- Urban Ladder
- Infinite Analytics
- Generic Aadhaar
These are just some of the many interesting facts about Ratan Tata. If you wish to know more about his achievements and learn from them. Download XPERT, XPERT is a platform found with the aim to make experts accessible. Ask a question to experts you admire the most. Learn their ideology, follow their methodology and you too can be successful like your mentors.
Download XPERT today.