When other teenagers were vigourously studying to enter the best college for a secured future, Ritesh Agarwal was travelling across the country staying in numerous hotels on a pressed budget to gather knowledge on making customers' stay convenient at competitive prices.
He discarded the idea of going to college and started shaping his dream. A dream to create a platform of budgetary hotels with standard facilities and comfort.
That’s how, at just the age of 19, he launched OYO in 2013. OYO today is the world’s leading chain of hotels, homes, and spaces.
Ritesh's accomplishments are a testimony of his strenuous work, dedication, and passion. Since the launch of OYO Rooms in 2013, in just seven years, he has gone from a college dropout to one of India's youngest billionaires.
According to Hurun Global Rich List 2020, he is been named the youngest Indian in the rich list with a net worth of $1.1 billion (Rs 7,800 crore).
Below is the infographic on awards and achievements of Ritesh Agarwal:
If you can't view the Infographic properly, over here is the list of his awards and achievements:
1. TiE-Lumis Entrepreneurial Excellence Award (2014)
2. The first resident Asian to win ’20 Under 20’ Thiel Fellowship (2013)
3. Named one of the Top 50 Entrepreneurs by TATA First Dot Awards (2013)
4. Finalist of Global Student Entrepreneurship Awards-India
5. One of the ‘8 Hottest Teenage Start-Up Founders in the World’ by Business Insider (2013)
6. World’s Youngest CEO at 17(recognized at 16)
7. Forbes “30 under 30” in the Consumer Tech Sector
8. Business World Young Entrepreneur Award
9. At 17, he authored a best-selling book, ‘Indian Engineering Colleges: A Complete Encyclopaedia of Top 100 Engineering Colleges’
10. Written a book named ‘Kaleidoscope’ which has around 25 award-winning short stories
One of his classic quotes – “Don’t worry about being successful but toward being significant and the success will naturally follow.”
The journey that started from one hotel in Gurugram, Haryana, OYO Rooms has now spread its wings to over 1.2 million rooms in more than 44,000 hotels globally. Aside from India, the company is now present in Malaysia, UAE, Nepal, China, Brazil, Mexico, UK, Philippines, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Vietnam, the United States and more.
“Our belief is that if we just keep opening 50,000 keys a month, then by 2023 we would have opened roughly 2.5 million more rooms, which will be at least two times of what the world’s largest hotel chain is today," Agarwal told PTI in an interview.
According to Ritesh – “Having a passion for solving a big problem and leaving a huge impact. Once you have that, everything else falls into place.”
Indeed, he is a role model to many. He has always been my motivation and guru who enlightened me to dream big, work hard and never stop.
Thanks to Xpert for connecting to him and enabling me to discover everything he has spoken about, his journey, experiences, techniques, achievements, and advice.
About Xpert : Xpert is a platform having a knowledge database of all that our idols have spoken about, their journeys, experiences, techniques, achievements, and advice. Imagine gaining business advice from Ratan Tata, singing tips from Arijit Singh or learning perfection from Amir Khan. Xpert’s handpicked 320+ experts across 34+ Professions help you excel in your career.
Learn from the best.