AR Rahman, one of the finest singers, music producers, music directors, writer, and composers. Due to hard work and dedication towards music, his awards and achievements are extraordinary and are incomparable. It is very hard to put all an achievement of AR Rahman altogether at once but here you will get to know about his lifetime achievement. So without wasting any time, let’s jump into the lifetime awards and achievements of AR Rahman.
Award for First Movie (Roja- 1993):
- Cinema Express Awards for Best Music (Hindi)
- CineGoers’ Award for Best Music (Tamil)
- Film Fans’ Award for Best Music (Tamil)
- Kalasaagar Award Best Music (Tamil)
For the first movie itself he was awarded National Film Award for Best Music Direction at the 41st National Film Awards, the first time for a debutant, his journey continues and the collections of awards and achievements of AR Rahman also continues.
Life-Changing Award (Slumdog Millionaire-2009) for AR Rahman:
- Oscar Award in the category of Best Original Score – Slumdog Millionaire (2009)
- Oscar Award in the category of Best Original Song – Jai Ho (2009)
- Nominated for Oscar Award in the category of Best Original Song nominated for O… Saya (2009)
- BAFTA Awards in the category of Best film music (2009)
- Golden Globe Awards in the category of Best Original Score – Slumdog Millionaire (2009)
- Grammy Awards in the category of Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media (2009)
- Grammy Awards in the category of Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media -Jai Ho (2009)
- World Soundtrack Awards in the category of Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film (2009)
Honor by Government of India:
- Kalaimamani Award by Government of Tamil Nadu towards the contributions to music in the year 1995.
- Padma Shri by Government of India which is the Fourth highest civilian award India in the year 2000.
- Awadh Samman by Government of Uttar Pradesh towards exceptional and meritorious contribution in music in the year 2001.
- National Lata Mangeshkar Award by Government of Madhya Pradesh towards Contributions to music in the year 2004.
- Padma Bhushan Government of India which is the Third-Highest civilian award of India in year 2010.
He was also honored 32 different by several organizations all over the world.
- Chaiyya Chaiyya from Dil Se was voted 9th in “The World’s Top Ten” songs of all time by BBC World Service in 2003.
- AR Rahman’s debut soundtrack for Roja was listed in TIME’s “10 Best Soundtracks” of all time by film critic Richard Corliss in 2005.
- AR Rahman’s soundtrack for Bombay was included in The Guardian’s “1000 Albums to Hear Before You Die” list in 2007.
- The song “Kehna Hai Kya” from AR Rahman’s soundtrack for Bombay was included in The Guardian’s “1000 Songs Everyone Must Hear” list in 2009.
- Rahman’s soundtrack for Lagaan was ranked at No. 45 on Amazon.com’s “The 100 Greatest World Music Albums of All Time” list in 2009.
These are some of the important awards and achievement of AR Rahman. Apart from these he also won 1 BIG Star Entertainment Awards, 4 Bollywood Music Awards, 6 Cinema Express Awards, 1 IIFA Utsavam, 4 CineGoers’ Award, 2 Global Indian Film Awards (GIFA), 4 Film Fans’ Award, 7 Zee Cine Awards and list goes on and on.
AR Rahman has won 135 Awards till now. And honored at 37 times by different countries, governments, and NGOs.
AR Rahman is the first Asian to win two Oscars in the same year and be nominated twice in the same year and also the first Asian to receive multiple nominations in the category Academy Award for Best Original Score.
The story of AR Rahman is not only about the other celebraties, it is about dedication, focus and hard work towards his passion.