Mahendra Singh Dhoni, former captain of the Indian Cricket team, recognized as captain cool, is one of the flamboyant right-hand batsmen. He made his ODI debut in 2004 against Bangladesh. Since then he has one of the most successful batsmen, wicketkeeper and captain.
But do we really know the pain and struggles that he faced in his life. Here is one of the most inspiring stories of a Ticket Collector.
MSD in Childhood
MSD was born on the 7th of July 1981 in Ranchi. Pan Singh and Devki Devi are his parents, who are very for him. He studied in Jawahar Vidhya Mandir in Shyamali, Ranchi. In his early days, he was recognized in his school for playing football, not cricket. He used to watch cricket and was a big fan of Adam Gilchrist. During the matches of the Indian Cricket team, MSD used to sleep while Sachin Tendulkar was out. As MSD was brilliant at goalkeeping in football his school coach, Keshav Ranjan Banerjee, told him to focus on wicketkeeping in cricket. This was he entered and then ruled the cricketing world.
Struggle of MSD
We all are well known with the success but we often didn't know the pain behind it. The father of MSD forced him to study and to do any government job that will secure his future. But he has some other plans. He stuck to cricket and was once recognized by all the peoples in a local match where he opened the batting.
Afterward, he received a letter to become a Ticket collector and a player of Railways. Dhoni’s worked as a ticket collector at Kharagpur. After doing the job he used to go for the practice of cricket. His job involved going from one platform to another to hand over the “quota charts” to the traveling ticket examiners of long-distance trains that stopped at Kharagpur. He had to run sometimes from one platform to another, as the film shows Sushant doing. “He often got frustrated with this work,” Robin recounted.
He moved further and further in his cricketing career. Saurav Ganguly was the first to recognize the talent and asked selectors to give him dhoni and the rest is history. On his debut match, he got run out and also he didn't score much in that series. No one was aware of him. As time progressed he started getting big and match-winning runs.
MSD Career in Cricket
- He started playing cricket in 1998 for Central Coal Fields Limited.
- He played for Bihar in Ranji Trophy.
- He also played for Jarkhand in 2003.
- He made international ODI debut in 2005.
- In 2007 he became the captain of India's T20 Team and also won the T20 world cup 2007.
- In 2009, India peaked the ICC Test ranking under his captaincy.
- He was purchased by Chennai Super Kings for 1.5 million USD.
- In 2011 he lead team India to the ODI world cup win, by hitting the six in the stadium.
Records In Cricket
- Most Centuries batting at No.7 in ODI.
- Most Sixes in International Cricket as a captain.
- Fastest stumping in the history of cricket, 0.08s.
- Most Stumping in International cricket.
- The highest score, 183, by a wicket-keeper batsman in an ODI inning.
- Most T20 matches won as a captain.
- The only captain won all the major ICC events the T20 world cup, ODI world cup, ICC Champions Trophy and IPl Trophy, Champions league Trophy.
Dhoni has achieved everything in his career. But we must understand that he deserved that due to his past struggles.