10 Facts About Manish Malhotra
1. Born in 1965, Manish Maholtra grew up knowing he wanted to become a part of the fashion industry, choosing to forgo taking over his family’s business to pursue a fashion career.
2. Unlike many of the other fashion designers we’ve discussed here before, Manish had no formal training in fashion design.
3. When he was 25, Mr. Malhotra entered the Bollywood fashion design scene. His first gig was designing costumes for the Hindi film Swarg for the beautiful Indian starlet, Juhi Chawla.
4. His fame began to grow when he won Best Costume Designer at the prestigous Awards of the International Indian Film Academy in 2001 and 2002.
5. He was the first Indian fashion designer who always requested to read scripts before designing the costumes for a film.
6. Manish has already designed for countless celebrities. Even though most of his celebrity clients are Indian starlets, names you may recognize include Aishwarya Rai (she was the lead in Bride and Prejudice) and Michael Jackson. (Yes, that Michael Jackson!)
7. He’s been described as a realistic, down-to-earth person, regardless of his celebrity status. His grounded nature may to attributed to his middle-class upbringing.
8. Manish opened his first boutique in 1998 that featured his couture fashion designs.
9. This man is quite the trendsetter in India – he has been given credit for popularizing embroidered jeans, among other trendy looks.
10. In 2005, Manish began filming his own talk show, The Manish Malhotra Show on the Zoom channel, elevating his celebrity status to new heights.